5 Things You Don’t Know about Doomsday Preppers
Season 2 of Doomsday Preppers aired on Nation Geographic Channel last night, and we’re all about it. Now, if you aren’t much of a prepper yourself (which we assume you are, right?) then the whole ‘Doomsday Prepper‘ concept might seem a little odd and extreme. However, it’s likely that there are a lot of things you don’t know about these preppers that might just change your mind.
1. They’re completely sane. There are tons of great reasons to plan and prepare once you start looking. Natural or man-made disasters, war, epidemics or a bad economy. When a prepper identifies these threats (among many others) they decide to plan for the worst. They prepare so that no matter what the future holds, it will not be able to beat them. Independence and safety are very American concepts, and can only be secured through proper planning and preparation.
2. They’re worried about you. Preppers are a cautious people, who understand the importance of self reliance and that by being more independent, society as a whole gains a safeguard against disaster. Look at the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, for example. When the storm hit, people who expected immediate and attentive assistance from the government were neglected and thousands still live darkness, wishing they’d planned better.
3. Preppers are normal people. Not only are Doomsday Prepper’s sane, their also normal. They have a sense of humor and live life to the fullest. They understand preparing for tomorrow is important, and so is living for today.
4. They want to spread the word. The preppers who go on TV don’t do it to win popularity, they do it to encourage the rest of the population to prepare. It’s about getting everyone ready and revealing threats others might not have considered, and showing them a few ways to safeguard their own survival. Preppers simply want to teach people how to protect themselves and why the should.
5. They don’t know what the future holds. Preppers have theories, they recognize threats and see the world for what it is, but they usually don’t presume to know what will become of these things. Only that they want to be prepared, come what may or may not.
The popular documentary series Doomsday Preppers has featured our products in the past while demonstrating various methods of preparing for a crisis. These preppers are people like you and me, just trying to survive the uncertain future. If you aren’t one already, start prepping now. Start with the basics: heat, water, and emergency food.